You are here
Certificate Program Modules
Module 1: International Commercial Law
If international commercial law is characterized as one of the wheels on the machinery of globalization, then international sales law would be a spoke on that wheel. This module provides in-depth focus on international sales law, specifically the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG). Students will explore supporting legal guidelines, rules and instruments, including INCOTERMS and the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts. They will also be introduced to leading international commercial law organizations, including UNCITRAL.
Module 2: International Alternative Dispute Resolution
This module follows a 13-week course of study and is designed to provide a comprehensive overview – and in-depth exploration – of international alternative dispute resolution, including international commercial arbitration.
Academics teach the fundamentals through online lectures. Practitioners and academics are organized onto online panels to jointly present on cutting-edge topics in the fields of ADR, international arbitration and ODR. The online platform facilitates discussion and debate between speakers and participants.
In addition, using technology provided by Modria.com – a leading ADR-ODR platform provider – students will actively participate in negotiation, mediation and arbitration simulations, collaborating with students around the globe on the resolution of a cross-border commercial dispute.
Substantive Law Topics:
- Introduction to International Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Non-Binding ADR Processes: Negotiation
- Non-Binding ADR Processes: Mediation & Conciliation
- Introduction to International Commercial Arbitration
- Arbitration Agreements
- Applicable Law and Rules
- Selection, Appointment and Obligations of an Arbitrator
- The Arbitration Proceedings
- Judicial Involvement in Arbitration
- The Arbitral Award
- Online Dispute Resolution (ODR)
- Negotiation Simulation
- Mediation Simulation
- Arbitration Clause Drafting Exercise
- Online Arbitration Simulation
Module 3: International Commercial Arbitration Advocacy Training
A series of lectures by practitioners and professors will guide students and associates through the fundamentals of oral advocacy pertaining to international commercial arbitration.
Additionally, this five-week module will benefit students who have already completed the first phase of the Vis Moot (drafting the memorandum of law) and will help prepare them leading up to the oral advocacy component of the competition.
Lecture Topics Include:
- A Guide to Oral Advocacy in International Moot Competitions
- DOs and DON’Ts in Moot Court Advocacy
- Oral Advocacy in International Commercial Arbitration: Beyond the Moot
- Go to http://law.pace.edu/IICL-certificate-program-application.
- Application deadline: MAY 3, 2013.
- Scholarships are available