You are here
Listserv\Electronic Discussion Groups
If you are planning to use e-mail only to access discussion groups, go to "To Subscribe to the group using e-mail" below. You will not need to do anything else but follow the directions in that section.
If you want to be able to use the web interface (use a web browser) to view the archives, or subscribe or post a message, please read all of these directions. The best course of action is to subscribe and post to the group by e-mail, and use the web interface to view the archives as needed. The full manual is available at http://list.pace.edu/scripts/wa.exe.
Note: Wherever you see listname-l - substitute the name of your list -e.g. conlaw-l
To access the discussion group web interface:
Please note that in order to access the discussion groups on the web interface, you must be on a Pace University campus, or running a secured Virtual Private Network (VPN) session. For more information on VPN, please click here. To go directly to the site to download and install Pace VPN client software please click here. You will need to login with your Pace username and password.
- Using your web browser, go to this url to get to the archives: http://list.pace.edu/archives
- Scroll down until you see the discussion group you want to access and click on the name of your discussion group - they are in alphabetical order.
You will then see a screen called Archives of LISTNAME-L@LIST.PACE.EDU. From this screen you can subscribe to the group, post a message to the group, search the archives for a particular message or view the archives in their entirety.
To subscribe to the discussion group using e-mail:
- Send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave the subject of the e-mail blank and in the body of the message type:
subscribe listname-l Firstname Lastname
Example: subscribe conlaw-l Julie Baker
- subscribe listname-l Firstname Lastname
- Send the message.
To subscribe to the discussion group using the web interface:
- Go to this url: http://list.pace.edu/archives/listname-l.html; example: http://list.pace.edu/archives/conlaw-l.html
- Click on "Join or leave the list (or change settings)"
- At the Join or leave the CONLAW-L list screen, type your e-mail address in the e-mail address field and type your first and last name in the name field.
- Click on the Join the List button to subscribe.
To post to the list using e-mail:
- Compose a new e-mail message. In the To: field, type in email@example.com (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Type in a descriptive subject in the subject field and then type in the body of your message.
- Send the message. You will not receive a copy of your own message.
To post to the list using the web interface:
- From this url: http://list.pace.edu/archives/listname-l.html, click on Post to the List.
- If you have not received your password, go to "To get a Password", below. If you have received your password, at the Login Required screen, type your e-mail address and your password into the appropriate fields and click Login.
- At the Compose a new message screen, type in a subject in the Subject field, your first and last name in the Name field and then type the body of the message (check off the check box if you want to receive a copy of the message you send as well.)
- Click the Send button at the bottom of the screen to send the message.
To view the archives using the web interface:
- Go to the url: http://list.pace.edu/archives/listname.html
- Click on the month of archives you want to view e.g. August 1999.
- At the Login Required screen, type your e-mail address and your password into the appropriate fields.
- Click on the login button. You will now be viewing the archives.
To get a password:
- At the Login Required screen, click on the text that says " get a new LISTSERV password first".
- At the Registering your LISTSERV password screen, type your e-mail address, and then type your password into the requested fields. You will need to type your password twice for confirmation.
- Click the Register Password button to send it.
- You will receive an e-mail message to confirm your password. Access your email account and follow the instructions in the e-mail message to validate your password.
- After your password has been validated, you can post to the list and use the archives.