You are here
Weather Closing Policy
Weather Closing Policy
This policy applies to closings on all weekdays including Saturdays.
The University President and his designees have the authority to make closing decisions in the event of inclement weather. While the University may consult with the Law School, Deans cannot make closing decisions on their own. Decisions to cancel day classes will be made as early in the morning as possible. Similarly, decisions to cancel evening classes will be made by mid-afternoon, if at all possible, before 2 p.m. However, the decision to close or delay classes is made by the University and not by the Law School.
When newspaper/radio/TV weather reports predict an impending weather emergency for the next day, all faculty, staff, and students should check one or more of the following:
- Call the Registrar’s Office at 914-422-4001.
- Check the Law School Website or the University Website.
- Call the emergency closing numbers listed below.
- Tune into the designated radio stations also listed below.
The Director of the Law Library will make a decision regarding the opening of the law library. Information regarding library opening and hours will be posted on the law school website and information disseminated to students via email as soon as possible.
In the event of a delayed opening, students should go to the class normally in session at the time of the delayed opening if an hour or more of class time remains. If not, students should report to the next scheduled class.
In some cases, an individual professor may have to cancel a class due to inclement weather when the University is open. In such cases, the law school will post the information on the law school website, and email all students, informing them of the class cancellation.
If the University decides to close while classes are in session, the Registrar’s office will:
- notify those classes;
- notify all Faculty and Adjunct Faculty scheduled to teach the remaining classes;
- communicate the closing decision to the Law School Webmaster to place this notice on the Law School website; and
- send out an e-mail to all Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, students and staff.
Campus Closing Information
University Weather Message (914) 773-3398
WFAS – 1230 AM http://www.wfasfm.com
WFAS – 103.9 FM – http://www.wfasfm.com
WHUD – 100.7 FM – http://www.whud.com